Wednesday 13 July 2011

Soap Opera Trailer Timings

After watching a large amount of TV I have only seen three soap opera trailers and all of them were for Eastenders. I have watched the same amount of the channel BBC1 to what i have for ITV1 and it seems to be that BBC1 uses trailers a lot more to advertise there soaps.

All the trailers that are for soaps that are on sites like youtube seem to have a majority of christmas ones. The soaps only bring out trailers when  a huge storyline is going to be shown and the biggest ones are set at christmas time. This means that during the year not that many are brought out.

The Eastenders trailers that I have seen on TV were on at 9:00, 10:30 and 7:00 all on completely different days and different trailers.

BBC 1

7pm - An Eastenders Trailer - Total Wipe Out
                            - Doctor Who

10:30pm - An Eastenders Trailer - BBC weekend news
                                  - Ghost Train (film)

9:30pm - An Eastenders Trailer - Miranda (comedy)
                                - BBC news at ten

 The other programmes that are listed on here after Eastenders are the ones that were shown on TV before and after the trailer.

By doing this research it has given me insight into what times I would show my own soap opera trailer in order to attract my target audience. Most people watch the news so that is a good program to show my trailer either side of, another time that is good show soap opera trailers is at dinner time when families are sitting down to watch TV with their dinner. I think that from this research I would show the trailer between half past 6 and 9 o'clock as that is when my target audience is most likely to be watching the TV. This research will also help me to decide exactly which demographic groups would best suit my soap opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment